Friday 6 May 2016

Rules Of Grammer - 6 | Study Notes



 Only You can do it !!

 

  Rules Of Grammar :-


Dear Readers, Many of us seek difficulty with scores in English. The reason behind it is we tend to solve the questions without actually knowing the mistake in the sentences.
So, today we have tried to put up some grammatical rules which will help us improve our scores in English.


Rule 1 - Another is one word.
Ex- Can I have another cup of coffee? (NOT an other cup...)
    Ann's going to look for another job.

Rule 2After would rather, use an infinitive (without to) or a past tense, not a present tense.
Ex- I'd rather stay at home this evening. (NOT I'd rather to stay at home...)
    I would rather you paid me in cash. (NOT I would rather you pay me in cash.)

Rule 3 - Use an -ing form after be/get used to.

Ex - I'm used to driving in London now, but it was hard at the beginning. (NOT I'm used to drive...)
     I'll never get used to living in this place.

Rule 4
- How long are you here for? asks about the future.

Ex - 'How long are you here for?' 'Till Easter.' (NOT 'Since Christmas.')

Rule 5Don't use could to talk about something that you succeeded in doing.

Ex - I managed to run 10 km yesterday in under an hour. (NOT I could run 10 km yesterday...)
     How many eggs were you able to get? (NOT ...could you get?)

Rule 6 - Indirect questions usually have the same construction as statements.

Ex- I asked where her parents were. (NOT USUALLY I asked where were her parents.)
    The policeman wanted to know where I lived. (NOT ...where did I live?)

Rule 7- To say that something is not necessary, use needn't or don't have to, not mustn't.

Ex- You needn't pay now; tomorrow will be OK. (NOT You mustn't pay now; tomorrow will be OK.)
    I don't have to wear a tie at work. (NOT I mustn't wear a tie at work.)

Rule 8 - Everything is a singular word.

Ex- Everything was broken. (NOT Everything were broken.)
    Is everything ready?

Rule 9 - Use because or so, but not both together.

Ex - Because the train was late I missed the meeting. OR The train was late, so I missed the meeting.  (BUT NOT Because the train
     was late, so I missed the meeting.)

Rule 10We say something to a person.

Ex- She never says 'Hello' to me. (NOT She never says me 'Hello'.)
    Andrew has said nothing to Peter. (NOT Andrew has said Peter nothing.)

Rule 11 - Tell normally needs a personal object.

Ex- He told us that he was going home. (NOT He told that he was going home.)
    I've told you everything I know.

Rule 12 - Don't use every to talk about two people or things.

Ex-You can park on each side of the street. (NOT ...on every side of the street. )
   He was holding a glass in each hand.

Rule 13 - Far is unusual in affirmative sentences, except in a very formal style.

Ex- We live a long way from here. (NOT USUALLY We live far from here.)
    It's a long way to Tipperary.

Rule 14 - We don't usually use before to mean 'in front of'.

Ex- You can park in front of the station. (NOT ... before the station.)
    There's a big tree just in front of our house.

Rule 15 - After look, we use at with an object.

Ex- Look at the moon! (NOT Look the moon!)
    What are you looking at?


With All these rules my personally used rule for any question was not to give answers in a,b,c,d / 1,2,3,4 format. Instead try to find out the exact error & before attempting a question or quiz please go through the basic grammatical rules. ATB :)

No comments:

Post a Comment